How Do I Adopt a Bird?
The adoption process at Open Wings Rescue and Sanctuary can be divided into four parts. Below is both a summary of our four step adoption system, along with some important information for those who wish to adopt.
Step 3: Quality Time
Provided the phone interview goes well, we will have you come in for some one-on-one time with the bird you are planning to adopt. The reason we do this is to ensure that you are a good match for the bird, and you think the bird is a good match for you.
Assuming the above process is completed without event, you will be the proud owner of a new feathered friend.
Important Things to Remember
There are a few caveats and tips that are important to keep in mind during the adoption process:
- All birds have an “Adoption Donation” that is determined by OWR&S. The amount of a bird's donation can be located on our list of birds available for adoption.
- We ask that you please do research on the bird you are interested in. Having knowledge during the interview processes will greatly increase your chances of a successful adoption. There are many great sites found on the web such as: http://www.all-pet-birds.com.
- All potential adopters must be at least 18 years of age.
- We do not ship birds. You must live within a 2.5 hour driving distance of an authorized representative of OWR&S. That should be easy to accommodate, however. We have representatives in Jacksonville, Gainesville, and Palatka.
- All applications are reviewed in the order they are received. However, our birds will be placed with the applicant that offers the best possible environment for the bird's well being.